LTR-14 Turner Special Short Kit
while maybe not the best pilot of his time, was the only pilot to win
the Thompson Trophy race three times. Two of those victories were in
the Turner Special.
In 1936 feeling that his Wedell-Williams racer could not get any faster, he set out to build a new all out racing machine. He contracted with Larry Brown (of Miss Los Angeles fame) to build him a new racer around the new twin row wasp engine. After almost 2 years and several modifications, Matty Laird finally completed the racer. Laird had it registered as the LTR-14 (Laird Turner Racer) much to the disappointment of Rosco Turner. After sorting out the bugs, Roscoe went on to win the 1938 and 1939 Thompson piloting his “Turner Special.”
Our Turner Special is based off of the drawings of Kenneth Wilson and has a very scale outline. Some washout in the foam core wing makes this a stable performer. With the round fuselage the Turner Special will knife edge from one horizon to the other. In all it is a great sport plane.
Featured as a construction article in the December, 2009 Model Aviation, we now offer a short kit of laser cut parts, foam wing cores and a vacuum formed canopy. For pure scratch builders, the plans are available from the AMA plans service.
Great flight performance and stunning Scale Appearance
The fuselage is built on an integrated crutch. Tab and slot construction make sure everything is lined up perfectly.
Wing has a professionally cut foam core and 1/16" balsa sheeting
- Wing Span: 51.4"
- Length: 45.3"
- Wing Area: 480 sq. in.
- Weight: 60-65 oz.
- Wing Loading: 20 oz./sq. ft.
- Recommended Motors: Hacker A30-10XL, 14x7 APCE Propeller.
- Recommended Battery: 3S 3200 to 5000 mAhr LiPo's
- Built up fuselage, sheeted foam core wing
- Decal Files for Champion, Twin Row Wasp, and Ethyl Logos
- Laser cut balsa and plywood fuselage formers and wing ribs
- Vacuum formed canopy
- Professionally cut foam wing cores
- Photo illustrated construction manual
- Full size plans
- Vinyl decal set available from Callie Graphics (Order T&J Models LTR-14)